As a child, I was always told not to play with my food. Little did they know that I would do that as an adult all the time! These Cheesy Steak Pinwheels are no exception to that rule. Filleted open center cut beef tenderloin stuffed with mustard, cheese and prosciutto. We will then roll these guys up, skewer and slice into individual steaks to be grilled on the Oklahoma Joe’s Blackjack Kettle Grill. Topped with Spicy Gremolata, this is some food worth playing with!
Post sponsored by Oklahoma Joe’s
Filleting your Steak
We will start this Cheesy Steak Pinwheel recipe with a center cut beef tenderloin. I prefer this cut because of how naturally tender it is while also lacking a little bit of flavor. Yes, you heard me right. Tenderloin does not have a lot of fat on it therefore it is not super flavorful. That is why we can filet this steak open and stuff with all kinds of goodies because it will only make it more amazing. Start by having a really sharp knife. Begin carefully filleting open the tenderloin until it is completely flat and about ½” – ¼” thick. Do not be afraid if you mess this part up as the pinwheels are a very forgiving process. Once filleted, let’s start making our Cheesy Steak Pinwheels.
We will lather the inside of the tenderloin with stone ground mustard for a little spicy & zesty kick. Next, start laying out your provolone cheese all over the opened tenderloin then top the cheese with slices of prosciutto. We will then carefully roll the Cheesy Steak Pinwheels up close to its original shape and begin skewering. Make sure to add your skewers through the outside flap of the tenderloin so that the pinwheel stays tight! Adding skewers every 1” apart, you will then slice between the skewers to make individual steaks. Season each steak with salt and pepper, and let’s get ready to grill.
Cooking the Cheesy Steak Pinwheel
Preheating your Oklahoma Joe’s Blackjack Kettle Grill to 375F, we will cook these Cheesy Steak Pinwheels for only 3-3.5 minutes per side. This kettle grill is the right cooking device for any quick & easy grilling dinner. It stays really hot and is very versatile for charcoal cooking! As the Cheesy Steak Pinwheels cook, mix together your Spicy Gremolata. Once the steaks have hit 120F internal, top them with the gremolata and pull off to rest for 5 minutes. It’s very important that you rest the steaks for 5 minutes as the cheese will be very hot!
Let’s Dive in!
Once the steaks are done, slice them up and serve! You can top the Cheesy Steak Pinwheels with a little more gremolata if you like, but you are ready to have dinner once done. These steaks are zesty, savory and cheesy all at the same time. With a little help from Oklahoma Joe’s, you can make some very delicious grilled steaks for dinner. Cheers!
Cheesy Steak Pinwheels
- 1 Beef Tenderloin center cut
- 6-8 slices of Prosciutto
- 6-8 slices of Provolone Cheese
- 1.5 tbsp of Stone Ground Mustard
- 1 tbsp of Coarse Sea Salt
- 2 tsp of Black Pepper
- 2.5 tbsp of Chopped Parsley
- 1 tbsp of Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp of Red Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp of Jalapeno pureed or diced
- 1 medium Lemon juiced
- Begin by carefully filleting your beef tenderloin open until it is flat. It should be about ¼” - ½” thick. Once open, lather the inside down with the stone ground mustard then add a layer of provolone cheese and sliced prosciutto. Carefully roll the tenderloin back onto itself until it is back in its original shape. Add some wooden skewers into the rolled tenderloin making sure they are abou 1” apart from each other and that you skewer through the flap of the steak so that it does not easily roll open. Slice between each skewer to reveal individual steaks. Lather each steak with oil then season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the Spicy Gremolata. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat your Oklahoma Joe’s Blackjack Kettle Grill to medium high heat (around 375F) for direct cooking.
- Add your steaks to the grill to cook for about 3-3.5 minutes per side until the meat is 120F internal. Right before the steaks are done, top each one with the Spicy Gremolata. When the steaks are done, pull off and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add some more gremolata if desired, pull out the wooden skewered, serve and enjoy!