It is crazy to think that we are in 2021. While new years always bring new goals, I have constantly found myself wanting to expand my recipe writing abilities. This Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Cheese Fatty smoked on the Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco Drum Smoker is exactly what I am talking about. Ground pork stuffed with cheese, onions, garlic, cream cheese and jalapenos wrapped in the illustrious bacon weave (find my video of facebook to learn how to do this). It is fun, detail-oriented and glazed with a Keto Spicy BBQ Sauce.
Sponsored by Oklahoma Joe’s
What is a Fatty?
While the name might seem a little off-putting, a classic “fatty” is quite the opposite. This delicious meal is usually ground meat seasoned up, stuffed with deliciousness and wrapped in bacon. It is basically a glorified bacon wrapped meatloaf stuffed with cheese and other goodies. However, the only thing that a Fatty shares with a meatloaf is a weird name and that it is absolutely delicious.
I was first introduced to this dish while watching another online BBQ pitmaster make her own. While I was at it, I realized that it would be the perfect recipe to pair with a keto friendly bbq sauce for the glaze. Thus the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Fatty was born.
How to make a Bacon Weave
The first step in making our Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Cheese Fatty is the wrapping in bacon. I think the most efficient and attractive option is the bacon weave. The process of making bacon into a single intertwined flat piece that can be used to wrap around objects is exactly what we do with a bacon weave.
The idea is to lay out 8-10 pieces of bacon parallel to each other without any gaps. Next, you fold up every other bacon slice just a little bit and lay a piece of bacon on top of the flat bacon so that it is perpendicular. Next, I fold up the bacon laying down and place another bacon slice down. If confused, just watch my recipe video on Facebook for visual instruction!
Let’s try the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Cheese Fatty!
Finally, we are making the Fatty. We season the ground pork and lay it flat out over the bacon weave. Add the stuffing to one side and roll the Fatty up tightly. Place it in the fridge to set for 15 minutes. Next, let’s preheat the Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco Drum Smoker to 275F. I prefer using the drum smoker because it can keep low temperatures well while being able to hit higher temperatures at the end of our cook.
We add the Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Cheese Fatty to the Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco Drum Smoker and cook for 2-2.5 hours until it is 160F internal. I puree the pickled jalapeños, pickled jalapeño juice and garlic cloves when the fatty is close to finished. Add that to a cast iron skillet that we mix with the rest of the Keto Spicy BBQ Sauce. Glaze the outside of the fatty and crank up the heat on the smoker. Once it is ready to go, we pull off, rest and slice in.
Delicious, smoky, cheesy and absolutely money. Cheers!
Looking for another amazing recipe to try along side this fatty? Give these bacon wrapped armadillo eggs a try!
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Cheese Fatty
- 1.5 lbs of Ground Pork Sausage
- 1.5 lbs of Bacon sliced
- 1.5 tsp of Kosher Salt
- 1.5 tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp of Chipotle Powder
- 1 tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1 cup of Cream Cheese
- ½ cup of Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- ¼ cup of White Onion diced
- 1.5 tbsp of Scallions sliced
- 6 Garlic Cloves minced
Keto Spicy BBQ Sauce:
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp of Pickled Jalapenos pureed
- 1 tbsp of Pickled Jalapeno Juice
- 8 Garlic Cloves pureed
- ¼ cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp of Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp of Butter
- Lay out two large pieces of plastic wrap of non-stick wax paper. Begin making a simple bacon weave (watch my video on Facebook!). Next, take your ground pork and mix with the seasoning thoroughly. Spread the ground pork out over the top of the bacon weave making sure to leave ½ inch of bacon overlap on all sides. In another bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients. Place the filling ingredients at one side of the fatty and, using the plastic wrap, roll the fatty up so that the filling is kept in the middle and the bacon surrounds it on all sides. Once completely rolled, tightly wrap it in the plastic wrap and set in the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- Preheat your Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco Drum Smoker to 275F. Add some wood chips or wood chunks for additional smoke flavor if desired.
- Unravel your fatty and carefully fold the bacon over the ends so that it is completely covered. Place it onto the smoker and cook for about 2-2.5 hours until the internal temperature hits 160F.
- About 20 minutes before the fatty is done, puree your pickled jalapenos, pickled jalapeno juice and garlic cloves. Add a bbq sauce skillet to the smoker with some butter. Add the rest of the keto spicy bbq sauce to the skillet and let simmer for 5 minutes. Increase the heat on the smoker to as hot as it will go. Glaze the outside of the fatty with the sauce and keep the extra for dipping. Let the fatty caramelize for 5 minutes.
- Once the fatty is done, pull it off and let rest for 2-3 minutes. Slice into it and enjoy!