If you are looking for an epic grilling meal, these Burger-Stuffed Onion Rings made with Kroger Delivery are it! I had all the ingredients delivered right to my door using Kroger Delivery, which means professional drivers used refrigerated trucks to keep all the food nice and fresh. I took the meat straight from the fridge to the grill without even leaving my house!
Sponsored by Kroger
To start the recipe, I stuffed sliced onion rings with ground beef and shredded cheese. Next, I wrapped bacon around the rings to hold everything in place. Then seasoned the bacon wrapped, beef stuffed onion rings so they were ready to be placed on the smoker. Once they were finished, I glazed them with BBQ Sauce and served them with my version of a zesty sauce.
Believe it or not, these delicious onion rings only need 30 minutes of prep time and 1 hour of cooking time to serve up to four people. Alright, let’s dive in.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love Burger-Stuffed Onion Rings
- Burger-Stuffed Onion Rings Ingredients
- How to Make Burger-Stuffed Onion Rings
- More Steak and Onions
- Burger Stuffed Onion Rings Tips and Tricks
- How to Store Leftovers & Reheat
- What to Serve with Burger-Stuffed Onion Rings
- Recipe FAQ’s
- Flavor X Fire & FOOD X Fire
- Burger Stuffed Onion Rings Recipe
Why You’ll Love Burger-Stuffed Onion Rings
This viral recipe combines tender beef, shredded cheese, smoked bacon, and thick rings of juicy onion. The jalapeño garnish will bring out a spicy flavor that will keep you coming back for more!
Burger-Stuffed Onion Rings Ingredients
To create the burger meat filling you’ll stuff the onion rings with, all you need is some ground beef and shredded cheese.
Then, for the onion rings, you’ll start out with yellow onions or sweet onions (your choice). You’ll also need slices of bacon, your favorite BBQ rub, favorite BBQ sauce and sliced jalapeños, for garnish.
Finally, for the zesty sauce, you’ll combine mayonnaise, prepared horseradish, dijon mustard, ketchup, soy sauce, white sugar, white vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne powder, and kosher salt.
How to Make Burger-Stuffed Onion Rings
Prepare the Onion Rings
Let’s dive into this unique, tasty recipe! First, begin by peeling the outside layer of your onions and slicing into 1” thick onion rings. Grab 6-8 of the largest “rings” and inside “rings” to make the outside shape for our burger-stuffed onion rings.
Next, in a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef and shredded cheese. Take an outside ring and grab a handful of the hamburger mixture and place it in the center. Shape the ground beef mixture to the outside of the onion then place the smaller onion ring into the ground beef to make a “donut” shape.
Next, curl a bacon slice around the inner and outer rings of each donut, so that the bacon covers up the entire onion ring. Set each wrapped and stuffed onion ring on a baking tray.
Repeat these steps until you have used all the remaining rings, or you have all the burger-stuffed onion rings you’d like.
Then, season all the Burger Stuffed Onion Rings with your favorite BBQ Seasoning and set in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
Create the Special Sauce
While those are setting, in a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the Zesty Sauce and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
Fire Up the Grill!
Now it’s time to cook these bad boys! Preheat your smoker at medium heat for indirect cooking at 275 degrees F. Add some wood chunks or chips for added smoke flavor if you like.
Finally, place onion rings on the smoker to cook indirectly for 45-60 minutes or until the center of the beef’s internal temperature is 165F.
In the last 10 minutes, drizzle your favorite BBQ sauce over the top and glaze the onion rings. Once the BBQ sauce is “tacky” and each beef onion ring is done, pull off and let cool for 5 minutes.
Serve the stuffed rings by garnishing with slices of jalapenos, zesty dipping sauce on the side and enjoy!
Burger Stuffed Onion Rings Tips and Tricks
I recommend utilizing cold bacon and cold ground beef, because if they are warm they will be more malleable, and won’t hold well.
Also, even though we are cooking these burger stuffed onion rings indirectly, still keep an eye on the flames from the fire. We don’t want a bacon fat flame flare up.
Finally, no one wants drippy onion rings. To absorb excess oil, place a layer of paper towels on top of a baking sheet. Place each finished beef-stuffed onion ring on top of the paper towels to end up with the crispiest onion rings you can get!
How to Store Leftovers & Reheat
If you just can’t eat all of these delicious onion rings in one sitting, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the oven or in an air fryer for maximum freshness.
What to Serve with Burger-Stuffed Onion Rings
This recipe is a delicious standalone, since it combines onion rings with burgers, bacon, and jalapeños. But if you’d like to enjoy something on the side, some tasty sweet corn, potato salad, or other cookout favorites would be perfect alongside this dish.
Sure, any ground meat will work well for this recipe. If you have some ground chicken, turkey, or venison around, you can use them instead. Just keep in mind that the flavor profile will be different.
If you’re trying to create this recipe but the meat just won’t stick, pop it back into the fridge for a while. Cold beef works better than lukewarm beef because it is less mushy.
You can definitely cook these onions right on the grill, but they might be missing some of that smokey flavor. Make sure to check the internal temperature of each burger-stuffed onion ring to make sure the beef is cooked through before taking them off the grill.
Cooking them directly also increases your possibility for flare ups. So make sure to keep an eye on that too.
Get The Cookbooks!
Flavor X Fire & FOOD X Fire
All the major tastes—salty, sour, sweet, bitter, and umami—are explored in-depth, along with an investigation of other competent you should consider when it comes to flavors, such as aroma, heat, and texture.
Burger Stuffed Onion Rings
- 1.5 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- 3-4 Whole Onions ideally yellow or white
- 2 lbs Sliced Bacon
- ¾ cup Favorite BBQ Rub
- 1.5 cups Favorite BBQ Sauce for glaze
- Sliced Jalapeños for garnish
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Prepared Horseradish
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- ½ tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp White Sugar
- 1.5 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Cayenne Powder
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Begin by peeling the outside layer of your onions and slicing into 1” thick onion rings.
- Grab 6-8 of the largest “rings” and inside “rings” to make the outside shape for our burger stuffed onion rings.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground beef and shredded cheese.
- Take an outside ring and grab a handful of ground beef and place it in the center.
- Shape the ground beef to the outside of the onion then place the smaller inside ring into the ground beef to make a “donut” shape.
- Next, wrap bacon around the outside and set on a tray. Repeat these steps until you have all the burger stuffed onion rings you like.
- Next, season all the Burger Stuffed Onion Rings with your favorite BBQ Seasoning and set in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the Zesty Sauce and place in the fridge till ready to serve.
- Preheat your smoker for indirect cooking at 275F. Add some wood chunks or chips for added smoke flavor if you like.
- Add the burger stuffed onion rings to the smoker to cook for 45-60 minutes or until they are 165F internal.
- In the last 10 minutes, drizzle your favorite bbq sauce over the top and glaze the onion rings.
- Once the BBQ sauce is “tacky” and the rings are done, pull off and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve by garnishing with slices of jalapenos, zesty sauce on the side and enjoy!