If you love pizza and burgers, this Smoked Pizza Burger is perfect for you!
To make this hybrid meal, I smoked some burger patties and topped them with marinara, shredded mozzarella cheese, sliced pepperonis, and a tiny bit of honey.
These are epic as the main meal or can be done as sliders for a fun appetizer.
What are Smoked Pizza Burgers
Smoked Pizza Burgers take your traditional cheeseburger and turn it into something bursting with great flavor. They are smoked burgers topped with marinara sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni, giving them that irresistible pizza taste.
This recipe combines two of your favorite meals (burgers and pizza) into a hybrid meal you won’t be able to get enough of.
I’m always on the hunt for new recipes to try, so when I discovered this burger-pizza combo, I had to give it a go! And, of course, I had to use my smoker!
Why You’ll Love Smoked Pizza Burgers
Mostly you’ll love this recipe for how tasty it is, but the great thing is it’s super easy to make. Dinner will be on the table in 45 minutes or less.
Burgers and pizza alone can become repetitive, but this recipe makes it easy to serve a fun dinner you and your kids will love. You could also turn it into a customized burger pizza night and grab different toppings for everyone to make their favorite pizza on top of their burger!
A burger covered in pizza sauce, pepperoni, and melty cheese is what I chose for my pizza, you know, it’s one of the classics. Name a better meal—I’ll wait. Not to mention the incredible smoky flavor that pulls everything together and gives this recipe the addictive taste you’ll be craving for weeks after.
How to Make Smoked Pizza Burgers
Smoked Pizza Burgers Ingredients
- Ground Beef
- Mesquite Peppercorn Lager Rub
- Burger Buns
- Marinara Sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Cooking Smoked Pizza Burger
Forming the Patties
First, form your lean ground beef into burger patties, making sure to add an indent in the middle to prevent the burgers from bubbling. Then, lather your burger with oil and generously season it with my Mesquite Peppercorn Lager Seasoning (or your favorite beef seasoning).
Place the burgers in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to set.
Preheat your grill for a two-zone indirect cooking method at medium-low heat (about 275F).
Then add some wood chips or wood chunks for added flavor.
Smoked burger patties absorb a lot of smoke flavor, so be careful how much you add. We want the smoke to enhance the Smoked Pizza Burgers, but not overpower them.
I cook mine to an internal temperature of at least 145°F. For those that like it more well done, 165F is ideal. I would not recommend cooking ground beef at temperatures lower than 145°F!
Add your burgers to the indirect side of the grill to smoke for about 30–40 minutes until they are about 135F.
Make it Pizza
Once done, top your beef patties with a dollop of marinara sauce, a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese (or a slice of mozzarella cheese), and 3-4 slices of pepperoni.
Let cook until the cheese melts (about 3-4 minutes) and until the burgers are at least 145F internal for medium/medium-rare. Again, you can cook to 165F for a well-done meal.
Once the burgers are done, top burgers with a honey drizzle. Then pull them off and let them rest for 5 minutes.
While the Smoked Pizza Burgers are resting, add the burger buns to the grill to toast until golden brown.
Serving Smoked Pizza Burger
Once the burgers have rested, build your Smoked Pizza Burger with a dollop of marinara sauce on the buns and patty. Now all that’s left to do is chow down!
As far as side dishes go, there’s no shortage of great recipes that pair well with these burgers. I’d serve it with a side of french fries, sweet potato fries, tater tots, roasted veggies, or a salad if you want to make it a well-rounded meal.
It just depends on what you like!
For leftovers, place your extra burger patties in an airtight container to keep them in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Store the toppings separately.
To reheat your burger patties, you can easily pop them in the air fryer or arrange them on a baking sheet and stick them in the oven at 400F, flipping them halfway through until they are warm, 2-3 minutes per side.
Smoked Pizza Burgers are the best way to enjoy two classically delicious meals in a fun way! Stick with the classics, or make a customized pizza burger. Either way, this one will be a crowd pleazer!
If you give this recipe a shot, let us know how it turned out in the comments!
Smoked Pizza Burger
- 2 lbs Ground Beef 80/20
- Mesquite Peppercorn Lager Rub
- 4-5 Burger Buns
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 12-14 Pepperonis sliced
- Honey for serving
- Form your ground beef into ⅓ lb burger patties making sure to add an indent in the middle preventing the burgers from bubbling. Lather your burger with oil and generously season with my Mesquite Peppercorn Lager Seasoning (or your favorite beef seasoning). Place the burgers in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to set.
- Preheat your grill for a two-zone indirect cooking method at medium low heat (about 275F). Add some wood chips or wood chunks for added flavor.
- Add your burgers to the indirect side of the grill to smoke for about 30-40 minutes until they are about 135F. Once good, top each burger with a dollop of marinara sauce, handful of shredded mozzarella cheese and 3-4 slices of pepperoni. Let cook until the cheese melts (about 3-4 minutes) and until the burgers are at least 145F internal for medium/medium-rare. Cook to 165F for more well done. Once the burgers are done, drizzle some honey over the top then pull off and let rest for 5 minutes. Add the burger buns to the grill to toast until golden brown.
- Once the burgers have rested, build your Smoked Pizza Burger with a dollop of marinara sauce on the bottom burger bun, burger patty, more marinara sauce and top bun. Serve and enjoy!