These Chorizo Smash Tacos are inspired by my good friend Brad Prose from Chiles and Smoke, and they were out of this world! Today we’re going to create somewhat of a chorizo smash burger, except we are doing the smashing with a tortilla on top. When you smash them super thin, they end up fully cooking from the steam and radiant heat. Then we top them with fresh guacamole, sour cream and a bunch more. So freakin’ delicious!
Why You’ll Love Chorizo Tacos
If you’ve made smash burgers before, then you’ll understand the concept of this flavor-packed chorizo taco recipe. You’ll soon discover that we do, in fact, only sear one side of the chorizo patty. However, don’t worry. The chorizo does fully cook, even though only one side makes contact with the grill. The steam cooks it through as long as you fully smash them down.
Whether it be a party, or busy weeknight, these are the best tacos to soothe that chorizo craving.
Keep in mind: in this recipe, we make fresh chorizo, but you can use pre-made chorizo to speed up the process. Also, if you want vegan chorizo, you can substitute pre-made soy chorizo! Any type of spicy chorizo will work– you can even try it with beef instead of pork if you want. Smash it up in a large skillet or on a flat top grill and enjoy!
Any night can be taco night with this simple and spicy Chorizo Smash Tacos recipe! All you need is 15 minutes for prep and 30 minutes of cooking to feed 4.
You’ll start by creating some fresh Mexican chorizo. In a large bowl, combine 2 lbs ground pork with smoked paprika, Ancho chili powder, dried Mexican oregano, dried coriander, garlic powder, cinnamon, white vinegar, and kosher salt.
Then, make your own guacamole. Chop red onions and fresh cilantro into small pieces, throw in several smashed avocados, and sprinkle with lime juice and a pinch of salt.
Finish off the recipe with some small tortillas, cilantro, pickled red onion, your favorite salsa, sour cream, and Cojita cheese. Feel free to add any of your favorite taco toppings to add some bold flavor!
How to Make Chorizo Smash Tacos
In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the raw chorizo and set to the side. Next, mix together all the ingredients for the guacamole in a small bowl and also set it to the side.
Preheat your grill to medium high heat (about 350F) for direct cooking. Add a cast iron skillet to the grill 2 minutes before cooking.
Add about 2 oz of the ground chorizo mixture to the preheated skillet and top with a tortilla. Using the bottom of a spatula, smash the tortilla into the ground chorizo (get them as flat as possible!) so that it lays flat and cook for 4-5 minutes until the chorizo is done.
Flip the tortilla over and cook for 30 more seconds on the opposite side, then pull off and keep warm. Repeat this for the rest of your chorizo smash tacos.
To serve, add the guacamole, pickled red onions, your favorite salsa, sour cream, cotija cheese, and chopped cilantro. You can also add on some of your favorite toppings if desired, and garnish with some lime wedges on the side.
Serve and enjoy!
Chorizo Smash Tacos
- 2 lbs Ground Pork
- ½ tbsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tbsp Ancho Chile Powder
- ½ tbsp Dried Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Coriander
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ cup White Vinegar
- Kosher Salt to taste
- 3-4 Large Avocados
- ¼ cup Diced Red Onions
- ⅛ cup Chopped Cilantro
- 3 medium Limes juiced
- Kosher Salt as needed
- Small Tortillas
- Chopped Cilantro
- Pickled Red Onions
- Favorite Salsa
- Sour Cream
- Cotija Cheese
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the chorizo and set to the side. Next, mix together all the ingredients for the guacamole and set to the side.
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat (about 350F) for direct cooking. Add a cast iron skillet to the grill 2 minutes before cooking.
- Add about 2 oz of the ground chorizo to the skillet and top with a tortilla. Smash the tortilla into the ground chorizo (get them as flatten as possible!) so that it lays flat and cook for 4-5 minutes until the chorizo is done. Flip the tortilla over and cook for 30 more seconds on the opposite side, then pull off and keep warm. Repeat this for the rest of your chorizo smash tacos.
- To serve, add the guacamole, pickled red onions, favorite salsa, sour cream, cotija cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve and enjoy!