Today I’m teaming up with Kroger Delivery to make these insane Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls. For this awesome appetizer — filled with tasty beef, bacon, cheese, onions, and peppers — I had all the ingredients delivered right to my door.
One of my favorite things about Kroger Delivery, besides no hidden fees and free delivery on orders over $35, is that they use refrigerated trucks driven by professional drivers. That means, no matter the time of year, your meat and dairy will always stay cool and fresh!
Post sponsored by Kroger Delivery
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love Jalapeno Poppers
- Spicy Egg Roll Ingredients
- How to Make Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls
- What to Serve with Jalapeno Popper Egg Rolls
- How to Tell if the Hot Oil is at Temperature in a Cast Iron Pan?
- How to Store Leftovers and Reheat
- This sauce is FYR!
- Jalapeno Popper Egg Rolls Recipe
Why You’ll Love Jalapeno Poppers
Homemade egg rolls are a family favorite and make for some great game day grub. After one bite, these hot and crispy jalapeno popper egg rolls will soon be your new favorite appetizers!
The best part of this recipe? You can switch up the jalapeño poppers with ingredients to match your taste. Love green onions? Then add them into the beautiful jalapeno pepper mix. Prefer pork over beef? Then it’s an easy switch up!
Now, a little heads up – these egg rolls cook up fast, so keep an eye on them to avoid any unwanted darkness. Now, let’s get cookin’ and enjoy some fuss-free, tasty eats!
Spicy Egg Roll Ingredients
Jalapeño Popper Egg Roll Mixture:
- Cheese blend – Plain cream cheese and Kroger cheddar cheese form the creamy gooey, slightly tangy and melty cheese part of each bite.
- Beef & Bacon – These are my go-to meats for the rolled egg roll recipe but feel free to experiment with some leftover beef brisket or pulled pork.
- Veggies – Diced jalapeño peppers and red onion complement the meat and cheese in every possible way.
- Seasonings – Kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder are the simple trio that makes all the egg roll flavors dance on your tastebuds.
- Egg Roll Wrappers – Egg roll wrappers, also known as spring roll wrappers, make creating delicious appetizers easy. Usually found next to the wonton wrapper packs in the produce section of most grocery stores, but when you order Kroger Delivery, you won’t have to worry about hunting them down.
- The best oil for frying egg rolls is one with a high smoke point and a neutral flavor that won’t overpower. Kroger canola oil is always a solid choice. I’m also loving this high-smoke point avocado oil, which you can also get from Kroger.
- Kroger BBQ Sauce – Bet you didn’t know that Kroger makes a full line of killer BBQ sauces! Original, Sweet N’ Tangy, Honey Sweet, Hickory Smoke, Thick N’ Spicy, and even a Reduced Sugar & Sodium BBQ Sauce. Give ’em a try and let me know which one is your favorite!
- Kroger Sweet Chili Sauce – This Thai-inspired sauce is always a great dipping sauce for egg rolls.
After you make this fun recipe once, you’ll be planning on making it again – and again! These crunchy and tasty fried egg rolls are that fricken good!
Add flavor to everything you’re cooking
shop over the fire spice lines
How to Make Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls
Now let’s get down to business and break down how to make these spicy poppers on your grill. First things first, preheat your grill to 350° degrees F for direct cooking.
The Tasty Filling
Place a cast iron skillet on the grill to preheat, then arrange bacon slices in it. Cook the bacon on medium-high heat until it turns golden brown and crispy, which typically takes about 8-10 minutes. For the crispiest bacon, flip the bacon halfway through the cooking process.
Once done, remove the bacon from the large skillet and allow it to cool on paper towels for approximately 10 minutes. After cooling, chop the bacon into pieces and then set it aside.
Next, add your ground beef to the hot skillet, seasoning it with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Stir the beef frequently and cook until it is fully done with no pink color remaining, which usually takes around 6-8 minutes.
Transfer the cooked beef to a medium bowl and then place it in the refrigerator to cool completely for 15 minutes.
In a separate bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, ground beef, chopped bacon, diced jalapenos, and diced red onions. Make sure to use a large bowl so that you can mix the ingredients thoroughly.
Assembling the JalapeNo Popper Egg Rolls
Place a scoop of the jalapeno popper mixture in the middle of an egg roll wrapper. Next, wet the outer edges of the wrapper with a bit of water using a pastry brush. Then, roll and fold into an egg roll shape. Repeat the steps for the remaining egg rolls with the remaining wrappers.
Frying Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls
In the large skillet, preheat the frying oil to 400° degrees F. Add your egg rolls to cook for a total of 3-4 minutes, giving each side no more than 2 minutes.
Once they turn golden brown and crispy, go ahead and remove them from the oil and then let them cool on a paper towel-lined plate.
What to Serve with Jalapeno Popper Egg Rolls
While Jalapeño Popper Egg Rolls are a filling treat in and of themselves, you could easily complete the feast with Marinated Steak with Thai Chili Sauce, Chili Butter Steak and Shrimp, or Roasted Salmon with Horseradish Sauce.
How to Tell if the Hot Oil is at Temperature in a Cast Iron Pan?
If you don’t have a thermometer handy, you can employ the breadcrumb test: drop a small piece into the oil, and if it browns in about 60 seconds, the oil is likely ready.
Additionally, a wooden chopstick or the end of a wooden spoon inserted into the oil will create bubbles around it when the oil is sufficiently hot.
Always exercise caution when working with hot oil and cast iron pans!
How to Store Leftovers and Reheat
Let any leftovers reach room temperature before wrapping them tight and placing them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. For reheating, place the poppers in a medium heat oven or an air fryer.
When it comes to cheese, the options are endless. For cheese with less fat, mozzarella cheese is another great option.
Ranch dressing would also be a killer compliment to the spicy meat and creamy cheese mixture.
Sure, why not? I would recommend an egg wash to keep the wrappers from drying out. Don’t overfill the air fryer basket, but make them in small batches for even cooking.
Get stoked for life
This sauce is FYR!
Born from a deep passion for food and flavor. Whether you’re grilling in the backyard or live fire cooking around the world, we have what you need to transform every meal into an adventure.
Jalapeno Popper Egg Rolls
Jalapeno Popper Mixture:
- 1 block Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 8 oz Ground Beef
- 6 Bacon Slices cooked
- 1 medium Jalapeño diced
- 2 tbsp Red Onion diced
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 6-8 Egg Roll Wrappers
- ½ cup Kroger BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- Frying Oil
- Preheat your grill to 350F for direct cooking.
- Add a cold skillet to the grill with your bacon slices. Cook until the bacon is golden brown and crispy (about 8-10 minutes). Make sure to flip half way through.
- Once the bacon is done, pull it off and let cool for 10 minutes. Once cool, chop up the bacon and set to the side.
- Add your ground beef to the hot skillet with the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir frequently and cook until the beef is fully done with no pink (about 6-8 minutes).
- Pull the beef off the skillet and place into a bowl. Place the bowl into the fridge to completely cool for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, add your cream cheese, cheddar cheese, ground beef, chopped bacon, diced jalapenos and diced red onions. Mix thoroughly.
- Lay out an egg roll wrapper and place a scoop of the jalapeno popper mixture in the center. Wet the outer edges of the wrapper with water, then roll and fold into an egg roll.
- Preheat some frying oil to 400F and add your egg rolls to cook for 1-2 minutes per side. Once golden brown and crispy, pull off and let cool.
- Serve with Kroger BBQ Sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce or the mixture of the two. Enjoy!