If you are looking to switch things up, then these Surf and Turf Jalapeño Poppers will definitely do the trick! These are not your average jalapeño poppers because poppers filled with cream cheese, topped with lobster meat and encased in beef bacon. Hence its surf and turf name.
We’re also teaming up with QALO for this recipe! Their Q2X silicone ring is perfect for over the fire cooking. It’s stylish, comfortable and, most importantly, it’s able to withstand extreme temperatures!
Post sponsored by Qalo.
Why You’ll Love Surf and Turf Jalapeño Poppers
This is a fun twist on classic jalapeno poppers that uses lobster claw meat, beef bacon, and is smoked. It is much more savory than classic jalapeño poppers, so we serve them with cilantro chimichurri to balance the dish.
The chimichurri adds a bright, crisp flavor to the poppers that takes them to the next level!
Ditch your usual to-go orders and create these homemade poppers for happy hour or the big game!
Surf and Turf Jalapeño Popper Ingredients
While these jalapeño poppers are more complex than the standard ones, they’re still fairly simple, with only half an hour of prep time for 4 servings.
The main ingredients for these Surf and Turf Jalapeño Poppers are jalapeño peppers, your favorite BBQ Rub (I used my Mesquite Peppercorn Lager Rub), and beef bacon strips. The stuffing is made up of cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and lobster claw meat.
You’ll serve them with a zesty Cilantro Chimichurri that combines cilantro, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. It brings such a delicious flavor to your table that will keep you coming back for more!
For more with chimichurri, check out my Chimichurri Steak Sandwich, Skewered Picanha with Bone Marrow Chimichurri and Spiced Lamb Kebabs with Mint Chimichurri.
How to Make Surf and Turf Jalapeño Poppers
The Prep Work
Begin by mixing together the cream cheese base, shredded cheese, and BBQ rub in one bowl. Pro tip – set your cream cheese out and let it come to room temp before mixing. This will make it so much easier to mix the filling together.
Next, take a jalapeño and slice it in half lengthwise. Since we’re working with jalapeños, I recommend using gloves and/or a utensil to scoop out all the filling and seeds from stem end down through the inside of the half jalapeños.
Once cleaned, fill the side of each jalapeño with some of the cream cheese mixture. Next, take some of the lobster claw meat and place it on top of the cream cheese mixture. Finally, wrap the whole thing in a strip of bacon and season with more BBQ rub. Repeat this for all your jalapeño poppers, then set everything to the side until ready to cook.
In a separate bowl, add all the ingredients for the Cilantro Chimichurri and then mix together. Set to the side.
For more surf and turf recipes, check out my Surf and Turf Pinwheels, Surf and Turf Butter Burger and Grilled Steaks and Creamy Chipotle Shrimp.
Time to Cook
Preheat your smoker for indirect cooking at 250F. Then, add some wood chips or chunks for added smoke flavor.
Add your jalapeño poppers to the smoker and cook until the bacon is fully done (about 30-45 minutes). Then, pull them out and let them cool on a room temperature surface for 10 minutes.
Lastly, add your jalapeño poppers to a serving platter and place the cilantro chimichurri in its own bowl next to the poppers. If you’d like to make a more deluxe spread, then include sour cream, pico de gallo, or fresh guacamole alongside the chimichurri!
For more delicious recipes, check out my second cookbook Flavor X Fire or my first cookbook Food X Fire!
Needing more spice in your life? My spice line can help with that. Check them out here.
Surf and Turf Jalapeño Poppers
- 5-6 Fresh Jalapeños cored & seeded
- 1.5 tbsp Mesquite Peppercorn Lager Rub Favorite BBQ Rub
- 10-12 Beef Bacon Strips
- 24 oz Cream Cheese
- ⅔ cup Shredded Cheese
- 10 oz Lobster Claw Meat
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Begin by mixing together the cream cheese, shredded cheese and bbq rub in one bowl. Next, take a jalapeno and slice it in half lengthwise. Using gloves or a utensil, scoop out all the filling and seeds from the inside of the jalapeno. Once cleaned, stuff the pepper with some of the cream cheese mixture. Next, take some of the lobster claw meat and place it on the cream cheese mixture. Finally, wrap the whole thing in 1-2 slices of beef bacon and season with more BBQ rub. Repeat this for all your jalapeno poppers, then set everything to the side until ready to cook.
- In a separate bowl, add all the ingredients for the Cilantro Chimichurri and mix together. Set to the side.
- Preheat your smoker for indirect cooking at 250F. Add some wood chips or chunks for added smoke flavor.
- Add your jalapeno poppers to the smoker and cook until the bacon is fully done (about 30-45 minutes). Once they are done, pull them out and let them cool for 10 minutes. Serve with the cilantro chimichurri on the side and enjoy!
Is there a replacement for the cream cheese? I’m not a fan of the flavor. Neither sour cream or cottage cheese.
I would just add more shredded cheese or even a softer cheese like mozzarella!
I cried. It was beautiful🤭
Can’t wait to try😋