This BBQ Steak Sandwich is a classic sandwich taken to the next level. It’s made up of toasty bread layered with horseradish mayo, cherry chipotle smoked steak, beer cheese sauce, and onion rings.
Love steak and cheese on a sandwich? Try my Steak and Cheese Sliders!
Prep the Steak for Your BBQ Steak Sandwich
Our steak sandwich recipe starts with my Cherry Chipotle Ale Seasoning because all great steak needs a great spice rub.
Start by preheating your grill for two-zone indirect cooking at a medium-low heat of around 250ºF.
Lather each steak generously with oil, then rub them all over with the seasoning blend. Don’t skimp on the seasoning and be thorough as you cover the steak. We want that fruity, smoky flavor in every single bite of our BBQ Steak Sandwich.
Next, add the seasoned steaks onto the cooler side of the grill and let them smoke for about 1.5-2 hours. Towards the end of their cooking time, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. They should be 125ºF.
Pull the cooked steaks off the grill and let them rest for 15 minutes.
Beer Cheese Sauce
As the steaks rest, we can put together our beer cheese sauce, because this BBQ Steak Sandwich is next level covered in a rich and cheesy sauce. Trust me.
So, add a cast-iron skillet onto the grill directly over the heat. Add in butter, flour, garlic powder, and cayenne powder. Allow the butter to melt and mix for a couple of minutes to combine.
Next, add in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine, then add in the shredded cheese. Let the cheese melt on low. Make sure you stir constantly to prevent lumps from forming. A smooth and creamy cheese sauce is the way to go for this BBQ Steak Sandwich.
When the sauce is done, set it aside and cut a couple of slices of bread. Add them onto the grill to toast for a few while you finish up the steak.
Sear it Off
To finish off the steak, we’re giving it a quick sear so it gets that perfect crispy crust.
So, kick the heat on the grill up to 400ºF for direct grilling. High heat is the key! Add the steaks back onto the grill and let them cook for about a minute and a half per side.
Allow a crust to form, then pull the steaks off of the grill. Slice each one into thin pieces. Remember to slice against the grain, because shortening the muscle fibers creates a more tender bite for your BBQ Steak Sandwich.
Assemble Your BBQ Steak Sandwich
Now, let’s get these juicy, cheesy sandwiches ready to go, because I know all of our mouths are watering.
Grab the now toasted bread and slather one piece with a layer of Horseradish Mayonnaise. Top it off with a generous helping of slices steak, then pour the beer cheese sauce over the top. Finish the BBQ Steak Sandwich off with some onion rings, a drizzle of BBQ sauce, and the second slice of toasted bread.
Now eat up!
If you love this steak sandwich, then you’ll also love my Wagyu Zabuton Steak Sandwich!
For more delicious recipes, check out my second cookbook Flavor X Fire or my first cookbook Food X Fire!
Needing more spice in your life? My spice line can help with that. Check them out here.
BBQ Steak Sandwich
- 2-3 Tri-Tip Steaks
- 2.5 tbsp Cherry Chipotle Ale Seasoning
- Canola Oil as needed
- 1.5 cups Sharp Cheddar shredded
- 1.5 cups Swiss Cheese shredded
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- ⅔ cup Light Beer
- 2.5 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1.5 tsp Cayenne Powder
- 1 Large Bread Loaf
- 2.5 tbsp Horseradish Mayonnaise
- Favorite Onion Rings
- Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Preheat your grill for a two-zone indirect cooking method at medium low heat (about 250F).
- Lather your tri-tip steaks with oil and generously season with my Cherry Chipotle Ale seasoning or your favorite BBQ seasoning. Place the steaks on the cooler side of the grill and smoke until 125F internal (about 1.5-2 hours). Once the steaks are done, pull them off and let rest for 15 minutes.
- As the steaks rest, add a cast iron skillet directly over the low heat from the grill. Add your butter, flour, garlic powder and cayenne powder to the skillet to melt and mix for 1-2 minutes. Once mixed, slowly add your milk and beer in batches to fully integrate them and let the mixture thicken. Once mixed, add your mustard and worcestershire sauce then stir. Finally, add your shredded cheese and keep stirring until fully integrated and smooth. Once the sauce is done, pull it off and keep warm. Right after finishing the sauce, slice your bread into two and make sure to toast.
- Next, kick up the heat in the grill to 400F for direct grilling. Sear off your rested tri-tip on both sides for 1.5 minutes per side to develop a crust. Pull the steaks off and slice very thinly against the grain.
- Finally, start building your sandwich with a layer of Horseradish Mayonnaise on bottom, topped with a heaping amount of sliced steak, pouring of the Beer Cheese, some onion rings and a drizzle of your favorite BBQ Sauce. Slice it up, serve and enjoy!