These Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Dogs are a fun change-up on the classic hot dog…but spicier, more flavorful, and all-around just better (if I do say so myself!)
Homemade chorizo hot dogs are stuffed with melty Gouda or Cheddar, wrapped in crispy bacon, then layered on a hot dog bun with homemade cilantro lime cream sauce, sliced red onion, chopped cilantro, and sliced jalapeño.
Looking for more bacon wrapped recipes? Check out my Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Skewers, Bacon Wrapped Honey Cajun Pork Tenderloin, or Maple Chili Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings!
Form Your Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Dogs
First, we’re forming our homemade chorizo dogs…and we’re stuffing them with cheese. Yep. Just try not to drool while you’re making them.
So, start the Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Dogs with one large block of soft cheese. I like to use Gouda or Cheddar, but other varieties will work as well. Slice the cheese into long rectangles measuring about 3″ x 1/2″ x 1/2″. You can eyeball this. It doesn’t have to be 100% accurate.
Next, portion the ground chorizo out into 1/4-1/3 pound sections. Form each portion into a “hot dog” shape around the cheese. We want the chorizo to be formed tightly around the cheese so it doesn’t break while cooking.
Lastly, the “bacon wrapped” part of our Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Dogs. Finish each one by wrapping them in 3-4 slices of bacon. Set the assembled chorizo dogs on a baking sheet and place them into the fridge for 45 minutes. We want to give them time to set up so they don’t fall apart while cooking.
Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
Meanwhile, whip up your cilantro lime cream sauce. It’s fresh, creamy, tangy, and perfect paired with the spicy and smoky flavors in the Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Dogs.
To make your sauce, simply whisk together sour cream, buttermilk, lime juice, and chopped cilantro. Taste and adjust as needed, then set into the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
Grill Your Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Dogs
Next, we’ll cook! First, preheat your grill to a medium-high temperature of around 375ºF. Be sure to use a two-zone-cooking method. We’re warming and searing for the best texture!
Place the chorizo dogs onto the hot side of the grill and sear them for about 1 minute. Rotate around so the bacon gets nice and crispy all over, then transfer the dogs to the cooler side of the grill. Close the lid and let them cook for 15-20 minutes. I recommend having a meat thermometer on hand to double check that the internal temperature of the chorizo is 165ºF.
Big fan of chorizo? Check out my Smoked Chorizo Queso, Chorizo Breakfast Fatty, or Chorizo Smashburgers!
Once the Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Dogs are cooked through, pull them off of the grill and let them cool for a couple of minutes so the flavor in the meat has time to settle in.
Time to Serve!
Finally, it’s time to garnish and serve our grilled Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Dogs!
Set one of the chorizo dogs on a hot dog bun (toasted if you like), then drizzle that with your prepared cilantro lime cream sauce. Top your dog off with chopped red onions, chopped cilantro, and sliced jalapeños, because a little extra spice is just what these need. Feeling bold, bring out a platter of chorizo tacos to serve with these epic dogs!
Now, eat up!
For more delicious recipes, check out my second cookbook Flavor X Fire or my first cookbook Food X Fire!
Needing more spice in your life? My spice line can help with that. Check them out here.
Full Length Recipe Video on Facebook!
Bacon Wrapped Chorizo Dogs
- 2-3 lbs Ground Chorizo
- 1.5-2 lbs Sliced Bacon
- 1 large block Soft Cheese preferably Gouda or Cheddar
- Hot Dog Buns
Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce:
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Buttermilk
- 2-3 medium Limes juiced
- 2 tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Jalapeños
- Diced Red Onions
- Chopped Cilantro
- Begin by slicing your cheese into long rectangles (about 3” x ½” x ½” but use your best judgment). Next, take about ¼ – ⅓ lb of ground chorizo and encase the cheese inside making a “hot dog” like shape. Make sure to form tightly so that the chorizo does not break while cooking. Once well formed, wrap it in bacon using 3-4 slices. Repeat this until you have as many chorizo dogs as you desire. Once done, place them on a tray and set in the fridge for 45 minutes to set.
- In another bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce. Set that in the fridge until ready to eat.
- Preheat your grill to medium high temperature (around 375F) using a two zone cooking method. Preferably a grill with a lid.
- Add your Chorizo Dogs to the hot side of the grill to sear off the bacon for about 1 minute making sure to rotate so that everything gets crispy. Next, pull all the Chorizo Dogs to the cooler side of the grill and close the lid. Cook for 15-20 more minutes until the chorizo is 165F internal. Pull them off once done to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Add your Chorizo Dogs to a hot dog bun and drizzle the Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce over top. Garnish with chopped red onions, chopped cilantro and sliced jalapenos. Serve and enjoy!
Hi there planning on making these bad boys for Fourth of July. I have a question…do you season the ground chorizo with anything?
No I do not, but you are welcome too!
Made these bad boys this weekend. Was a huge hit! Genius!!
Omg! Them chorizo stuffed hot dogs are crazy insane awesome! I’m a smoker using your recipes and yes! Game changer. I’m cooking 3 meals a week using different methods from you! Keep them coming! I love doing the party dishes you make
How would you make them on the stove or oven….covered?
Exact same cooking times and temperatures. Just use a skillet for the stove top!