We are all looking for some delicious inspiration during this crazy time. Well while you grab the Cowboy Charcoal for your next cookout, this Maple Chili Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings recipe is going to make it epic. Sweet, savory and spicy all in the same bite. How could you go wrong?
Sponsored by Cowboy Charcoal
So how do we cook these Chicken Wings?
The whole idea behind these wings is to get great flavor from the chili, maple syrup and the bacon. That is why we follow the process of marinating, smoking, searing and caramelizing them in that order.
First, we are going to marinate the wings with a chili garlic sauce. This is made up of all kinds of great flavors that naturally enhance chicken wings, but the chili garlic paste is the key ingredient. This spicy sweet mixture will give you delicious flavor while still making your sweat just a little bit. We will mix the marinade and the chicken wings together and place in the fridge to sit overnight.
Next, we are going to wrap the wings in bacon and smoke them. The reason for this is not just to get that great smoke flavor that Cowboy Wood Chips gives off, but also to cook the chicken wings without overcooking the bacon. Chicken takes a lot longer to cook than bacon does, so by smoking it we actually cook the wings fully while preserving the bacon from getting burnt.
Finally the searing and caramelizing comes last. As the chicken is fully cooked, we need to sear off the bacon to get a nice crispy crust. I lit up some more Cowboy Charcoal for searing along with a cast iron pan. Feel free to use a grill grate instead of a pan if that works better for you! Searing the bacon off over the Cowboy Charcoal for 1 minute per side is so satisfying. Pair that with glazing the wings in maple syrup to get that caramelization, and you are in cooking heaven.
Let’s eat these Maple Chili Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings
In the end, you cannot go wrong with these Maple Chili Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings over some Cowboy Charcoal. This is a great recipe for cooking during the fall, home tailgating or just for a fun meal over fire. Try the whole recipe below!
This article does contain affiliate links to products that we personally use and support. Purchasing an affiliate product does make us a small commission at no cost to you. This helps us continue creating for our website. All words and opinions are our own, and we appreciate your support!
Maple Chili Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings
Chicken & Marinade Ingredients:
- 2 lbs of Wings
- 3 tbsp of Chili Garlic Paste
- ¼ cup of Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp of Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp of Black Pepper
- 2 tsp of Cumin
- 2 tsp of Paprika
- 4 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 1 tsp of Sesame Seed Oil
- 1 lb of Bacon sliced in half
- ¼ cup of Maple Syrup
- In a food safe bowl, add the chicken wings and the marinade ingredients together. Mix thoroughly and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours but ideally overnight.
- The next day, pull out the chicken wings and discard the excess marinade. Wrap each wing in bacon and secure the bacon using a toothpick. Set in the fridge until you are ready to smoke.
- Using Cowboy Charcoal, preheat your smoker to a medium-low temperature of 250F.
- Place your chicken wings wrapped bacon onto the smoker to cook for about 2 hours or until they reach 165F internal. As the chicken wings are close to being done, preheat another fire with Cowboy Charcoal to a high temperature (about 400F). Preheat a cast iron skillet over the fire or use a well seasoned grill grate. Once the chicken hits the ideal temperature, pull them off and sear them in the skillet/grill for 1 minute per side basting with the maple syrup. Once done, pull off and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Pull out the toothpick, eat and enjoy!