Spicy Tequila Lime Shrimp Skewers for a fast and flavorful meal! Seasoned with my Smoked Chipotle Mezcal seasoning, these shrimp went through a quick marinade before securing them on their skewers. I love cooking shrimp this way because they carry so much flavor, yet are cooked so quickly. Plus, there’s enough shrimp here to feed a small army… Or maybe just you and a few of your closest friends.
Lime and tequila… Sounds like a perfect beach day waiting to happen! I might be landlocked, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying these combinations of flavor. As mentioned above, we kick things for the Spicy Tequila Lime Shrimp Skewers recipe off with a quick marinade.
When I say quick, I mean it. We’re looking at 10-15 minutes of marinade time, max. This is because shrimp is such a delicate meat, and the citric acid in our marinade will actually start to cook the shrimp if they sit together too long before being cooked.
With this in mind, set all your shrimp in a large bowl and let’s get to mixing. I started by adding a generous amount of my Smoked Chipotle Mezcal seasoning to the shrimp. This seasoning carries a citrus tang along with a bit of smoke and a bit of spice. It’s fantastic on shrimp by itself, but we’ll continue to add a few more ingredients to this marinade for an even further depth of flavor.
Add the remaining marinade ingredients and then mix together. I like to mix by hand as the shrimp are delicate, so this helps me ensure they all get an even coating of marinade while also staying intact. Now, set the Spicy Tequila Lime Shrimp to the side and wait for 10-15 minutes. The perfect amount of time to pour and enjoy some sips of bourbon.
Shrimp Skewers and Tequila Butter
Start to skewer the shrimp about 10 minutes into the marinating process. We’ve got lots of shrimp here, so it will take a bit to get them all skewered… but it’s worth it! When that’s done and our Spicy Tequila Lime Shrimp are skewered, take them to the grill.
Before placing the shrimp on the grill, let’s make the tequila garlic butter. We’ll baste the shrimp with it as they cook, so it’s important this happens before the shrimp hit the grill. Start by pouring the tequila in a preheated cast iron sauce bowl. Bring it to a boil before adding the butter and garlic. Next, stir the mixture until all the butter has melted and then add the chopped cilantro. Give it one final stir and then remove from the heat.
Serving Spicy Shrimp Skewers
Finally, put the shrimp on the grill and let them cook for a couple of minutes. Then flip the shrimp so that the opposite side cooks. When the shrimp are in their final stages of cooking, baste them with the tequila garlic baste. Warning, there could be flare ups… Stay vigilant.
Now, remove the skewers from the grill and it’s time to dive in! No garnish this go round, you can if you want but I didn’t think it needed anything else! We devoured these Spicy Tequila Lime Shrimp straight off the skewers. Best enjoyed with friends and family. Cheers!
Full Length Recipe Video on YouTube!
Spicy Tequila Lime Shrimp Skewers
- 2-3 lbs Shrimp peeled & deveined
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- 3 medium Limes juiced
- 2 tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- 2 tbsp Smoked Chipotle Mezcal *See substitute if needed
- 1.5 tbsp Chipotle Purée
- 1.5 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Smoke Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
Tequila Lime Butter:
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 oz Tequila Blanco
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- ½ tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- Begin by adding your shrimp to a large food safe bowl or bag along with all the ingredients for the quick marinade (use the Smoked Chipotle Mezcal or seasoning substitute). Let that sit for 10-15 minutes, then drain the excess marinade. Begin skewering the shrimp onto the skewers and set aside.
- Preheat your grill for direct cooking at high heat temperature (around 375-400F).
- Add a basting cast iron skillet over the flames to preheat. Add your tequila to simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add your butter and garlic to melt. Let simmer for 1 more minute, then add the chopped cilantro right before taking it off.
- Once the butter is done, pull off and add your shrimp to the grill to cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Once you flip the first time, begin carefully basting with the tequila lime butter. When the shrimp are done, pull off and rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish the shrimp with cilantro, serve and enjoy!