This Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich is a golden-brown toasted hoagie or baguette stuffed with gooey cheddar and layered with flavorful Italian sausage, a perfectly fried egg, and fresh chimichurri.
Stuff Your Rolls for the Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich
First, grab 5-6 rolls of your choice. Hoagie rolls or baguette rolls work great! Take each roll and separate the top from the bottom. Hold on to the bottoms and set aside the tops to use later on.
Next, carefully pull the excess bread in the center of the bottom half out to create a small divot in the bun. This is where you’ll stuff the cheese. It is a Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich, after all!
So, stuff the divot in the bun with shredded cheddar cheese, then cover the cheese with a handful of ground Italian sausage. Make sure you spread the sausage over the entire surface of the bun to cover the cheese. Set aside and continue with the remaining buns.
To finish your Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich prep, stick the rolls into the fridge and let them chill for 15-20 minutes to help the sausage firm up.
Sauce it Up
Next, our chimichurri! To make your sauce, mix together chopped parsley, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, red chili flakes, dried oregano, and black pepper. Add olive oil until your desired consistency is reached, then sprinkle in salt to taste.
Looking for more recipes with chimichurri? Try my Steak and Eggs with Charred Scallion Chimichurri, Spiced Lamb Kebabs with Mint Chimichurri, or Rotisserie Leg of Lamb with Chimichurri Sauce.
Let’s Get Cooking
Let’s cook our Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich.
First, preheat your grill for direct cooking to a medium heat fire of around 325ºF. Pull the assembled rolls out of the fridge and place the rolls over the coals. Make sure the sausage is facing down so it cooks well.
Let the sandwiches cook until the sausage reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. This usually takes anywhere from 15-17 minutes, but I recommend checking with a meat thermometer to make sure you don’t over or undercook. If you notice flareups, move the buns around the grill so they don’t burn. We want a golden-brown Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich, not a charred one!
Once the sausage is cooked through, pull the buns off of the grill and set them aside. Add the top buns onto the grill and let them toast for a couple of minutes until they are also golden-brown and toasty.
Assemble Your Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich
Okay, we’re almost there. So, pull all the buns off of the grill and kick the heat up to 375ºF.
Next, add a cast-iron skillet onto the grill and drizzle in a little bit of oil. Add in as many eggs as you can fit (one for every sandwich) and let them cook to your liking. Pull them off and set them aside.
Lastly, let’s assemble our Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich! So, top the bottom bun off with a fried egg, spoon on some fresh chimichurri, slather it with mayo, and finish it off with the top bun.
Finally, dig in because you’ve waited long enough!
Looking for more killer sandwich recipes? Try my Chipotle BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich, Smoked Pulled Ham Sandwiches, Donut Breakfast Sandwich, or Smoked Sausage Chimichurri Sandwich Recipe!
For more delicious recipes, check out my second cookbook Flavor X Fire or my first cookbook Food X Fire!
Needing more spice in your life? My spice line can help with that. Check them out here.
Full Length Recipe Video on Facebook!
Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich
- 2-3 lbs Ground Italian Sausage
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 5-6 Small Sandwich Rolls hoagie or baguette
- 5-6 Fresh Eggs
- ½ cup Parsley chopped
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 4-6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Olive Oil to desired consistency
- Salt to taste
- Begin by slicing your small sandwich rolls in half and separating the top from the bottom (set the tops to the side to be used later). Next, carefully pull out the excess bread from the bottom half so that you create a divot in the bun. Stuff the divot with shredded cheddar cheese, then take a handful of your ground italian sausage and cover the cheese with it. Make sure to spread out the ground sausage all over the bread so it completely covers the cheese. Once done, set that to the side and begin working on the next roll until all the rolls are completed. Once all the rolls are done, place them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to firm up.
- In another bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the chimichurri sauce. Set to the side.
- Preheat a medium heat fire (around 325F) for direct grilling.
- Take out the bread and place it over the coals with the sausage face down. Cook over the heat for about 15-17 minutes until the sausage is 165F internal or completely cooked through. If you have flare ups, make sure to move the bread around in order to prevent them. Once done, pull the sausage bread off and keep warm until ready to use. At this time, add the top buns to the grill and cook till they are nice and golden brown.
- When the bread is done cooking, kick up the heat to 375F and add a cast iron skillet with oil to the grill. Fry up some eggs (one for each sandwich) and cook them to your liking. Once done, pull off and set to the side.
- Serve the Cheese Stuffed Sausage Sandwich with a fried egg, some chimichurri, mayonnaise and the top bun. Enjoy!
Derek is the driving force behind Over the Fire Cooking. He started cooking with live fire in 2016 and decided to start a social media page so his friends and family could follow the journey. Fast forward to today and Over the Fire Cooking has spread across multiple platforms with millions now following Derek’s fire cooking journey. He’s a southern fellow who enjoys everything from classic BBQ to Central and South American inspired dishes. Whatever he’s cooking up, it’s guaranteed to be so freakin’ delicious!
Leave a Reply