Get ready to fall in love with Cheesy Gordita Crunch tacos! A crispy tortilla stuffed into a soft tortilla with melty cheese meets up with spicy grilled steak that’s got the best flavor. A chipotle lime sauce, next level compared to a bottled ranch dressing, adds the finishing touch.
Come along for the ride and keep scrolling to find out why this copycat recipe is a fiesta for your taste buds.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love Homemade Cheesy Gordita Crunch Tacos
- Copycat Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch Ingredients
- This sauce is FYR!
- When size matters
- Cheesy Gordita Crunch Recipe Instructions
- What to Serve with Cheesy Gordita Crunch
- Leftovers & Reheating
- How About A Quesadilla
- FAQs for Cheesy Gordita Crunch Tacos
- Cheesy Gordita Crunch Recipe
Why You’ll Love Homemade Cheesy Gordita Crunch Tacos
As much as we all love Taco Bell taco meat, there’s nothing like the taste of grilled steak to take the place of ground beef in a crunchy taco shell. Combined with the chipotle lime sauce and all that shredded cheddar cheese goodness, fresh tomatoes, and lettuce, these tasty tacos are perfect for Taco Tuesday or next Friday night.
This Cheesy Gordita Crunch recipe is all about the quality of ingredients, which you can find in your own kitchen. After one bite, you’ll be rethinking the idea of fast food altogether!
Copycat Taco Bell Cheesy Gordita Crunch Ingredients
- Steak – Skirt or hanger steaks are slathered in my Jalapeno Lime Pilsner Rub and some FYR RED Hot Sauce.
- Chipotle Lime Taco Sauce – The creamy tanginess starts with sour cream, greek yogurt, and buttermilk and then gets even more flavorful with the chipotle purée, lime juice, and kosher salt.
- Taco – The taco consists of hard shells made from corn, while each soft shell is made from flour. Combined with melted cheese, the soft-crispy shells are Mexican comfort food in every bite.
- Garnish – These tacos are finished with some fresh sliced iceberg lettuce and then some diced red tomatoes.
Get stoked for life
This sauce is FYR!
Born from a deep passion for food and flavor. Whether you’re grilling in the backyard or live fire cooking around the world, we have what you need to transform every meal into an adventure.
When size matters
The best way to replicate this Taco Bell menu item is to ensure the flour tortillas match the size of the corn shells to ensure a perfect fit between the crispy taco shell and the soft taco shell.
Cheesy Gordita Crunch Recipe Instructions
The Easy Prep
Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix the sour cream, greek yogurt, buttermilk, and chipotle puree with the lime juice – before finishing off the creamy sauce with salt to taste.
Add flavor to everything you’re cooking
shop over the fire spice lines
Now, fire up your grill for some direct high-heat action at around 400° degrees F. Let’s get these Cheesy Gordita Crunch tacos cooking!
Toss the seasoned steaks on the grill, letting them sizzle for 4-5 minutes per side until they hit an internal temperature of 120° degrees F for rare steak. Once they’re done, give them a 10-minute rest.
While your steaks rest, heat a large skillet on the grill. Throw in a flour tortilla, cook for a quick 30 seconds, then flip and load it up with a generous pile of shredded cheddar.
Let that cheesy flour tortilla do its bubbly thing for about 15 seconds, then wrap it around the hard taco shells. Repeat until all your Gordita shells are good to go.
Assembly & Serving
Slice up that perfectly grilled steak and load it into the cheesy tortilla shell. Top it off with a little bit (or a lot!) of Chipotle Lime Sauce, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and, of course, more shredded cheese.
It’s taco time! Enjoy this deliciously messy yet beautiful feast of flavors!
What to Serve with Cheesy Gordita Crunch
Serve these tasty tacos with your favorite toppings, such as homemade guacamole or grilled corn. To complete the meal, a side salad with fresh greens and sliced avocado would work great alongside each tasty soft and crunchy shell.
Leftovers & Reheating
If you have any leftover Cheesy Gordita Crunch tacos, fear not, just wrap the tacos up (without any lettuce or tomatoes) in some aluminum foil and keep them in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the fridge. Reheat in a warm oven, air fryer, or in some aluminum foil on the grill.
FAQs for Cheesy Gordita Crunch Tacos
Absolutely! Chicken tacos, fish tacos, shrimp tacos … there is no wrong way to do tacos. Just adjust the seasonings for the meat.
Of course, spicy ranch sauce is another excellent choice when it comes to complimenting the spicy steak. Or, a chipotle aioli would work too!
The Cheesy Gordita Crunch hit the fast-food menu in the early 2000s. It quickly became a popular menu item and Taco Bell never looked back!
Cheesy Gordita Crunch
Chipotle Lime Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Chipotle Puree
- 2 medium Limes juiced
- Kosher Salt to taste
- 5-6 Hard Taco Shells
- 5-6 Medium Flour Tortillas
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sliced Lettuce garnish
- Diced Tomatoes garnish
- Slather your steaks with FYR RED Hot Sauce and generously season with my Jalapeno Lime Pilsner Rub.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the Chipotle Lime Sauce. Set everything to the side.
- Preheat your grill for direct high heat grilling at 400F.
- Add your steaks to cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until 120F internal. Pull off once done and rest for 10 minutes.
- Add a cast iron skillet to the grill to heat up.
- Add a tortilla and cook for 30 seconds. Flip and top with a large handful of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Let melt for 15 seconds then add the hard taco shell on top of the cheese and wrap the rest of the tortilla so it's in line with the shell.
- Repeat this till all the taco shells are cooked.
- Slice up your steak and add to the cheesy shell along with chipotle lime sauce, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and more shredded cheese. Serve and enjoy!