These Huli Huli Chicken Wings are my take on a traditional Hawaiian dish!
Juicy chicken wings are grilled in a rotisserie basket until tender and smoky, then tossed in a sweet, tangy, and spicy pineapple BBQ sauce.
This incredible summer meal is ready in under an hour and will satisfy all of your sweet and savory cravings.
What the Huli Huli?
So, what is Huli Huli Chicken? Well, it’s a Hawaiian grilled chicken dish made up of rotisserie-grilled chicken usually tossed in a sweet and tangy sauce.
And that’s exactly what we’re making today!
Looking for more Huli Huli recipes? Check out my Huli Huli Ribs with Sriracha BBQ Sauce!
Marinade for Huli Huli Chicken Wings
First, we marinate, because the flavor just isn’t the same without! For the marinade, you’ll want to plan ahead at least a little bit. The longer the wings can soak in the flavor, the better. For the best flavor, marinate the chicken wings overnight. If you’re pressed for time, plan on a minimum of 4 hours.
To marinate the Huli Huli Chicken Wings simply mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic sauce or paste, ginger paste, garlic powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt. Add in your two pounds of chicken wings, then cover and place the mixture in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
Let’s Get Cooking!
Next, it’s time to cook the wings.
First, preheat your grill to a medium-high heat of around 350ºF and remove the now marinated chicken wings from the fridge. Discard the excess marinade, then place the chicken wings into a rotisserie basket. Seal the basket and get ready to grill your Huli Huli Chicken Wings.
Now We Grill our Huli Huli Chicken Wings!
So, now it’s time to cook our chicken wings. To do so, place the rotisserie basket over the flames. Make sure the basket is 6-8 inches away from the heat so the wings don’t burn. Cook until they reach an internal temperature of 175ºF. I usually achieve this in anywhere from 20-25 minutes, but the cooking time can depend on your grill, the size of your wings, and even the weather conditions.
Pull your fully cooked wings off of the grill and let them cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
Let’s Get Saucy
So, let’s talk sauce. The Sweet Pineapple BBQ Sauce is a totally optional addition to our Huli Huli Wings, but it sure does add some serious flavor.
To make your sauce, add a basting skillet over the fire while the wings are cooking. Add in ketchup, pineapple juice, Sriracha sauce, honey, dijon mustard, rice wine vinegar, and black garlic sauce. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook until fully incorporated and thickened. This usually takes me about 20 minutes!
Combine and Serve
Finally, it’s time to serve up our Huli Huli Chicken Wings. First, toss the wings in the prepared BBQ sauce, garnish with sesame seeds, additional Sriracha, and fresh, chopped parsley.
This sweet and savory meal will not disappoint!
Huli Huli Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs Chicken Wings
- 2 cups Soy Sauce low sodium
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Black Garlic Sauce or garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt to taste
(Optional) Sweet Pineapple BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup Ketchup
- ⅛ cup Pineapple Juice
- 2 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1.5 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1.5 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Black Garlic Sauce
- Chopped Parsley for garnish
- Sriracha Sauce for garnish
- Sesame Seeds for garnish
- Begin by adding your chicken wings to a food safe bowl/container along with all the ingredients for the marinade. Mix together thoroughly then cover and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours but ideally overnight.
- Preheat a grill for medium high heat (around 350F) for direct cooking.
- Pull the wings out of the fridge and discard any excess marinade. From here, place them into your rotisserie basket and seal the basket. Place the wings over the flames about 6-8” away from the heat and cook until they reach 175F internal (about 20-25 minutes). Once they are done, pull them off and let them cool for 2-3 minutes.
- (Optional) While the wings are cooking, heat up a basting skillet over the fire. Add all your ingredients for the Sweet Pineapple BBQ Sauce. Let simmer over the flames until it thickens and is well incorporated (about 20 minutes). Pull off the heat and set to the side. When the wings are done, pull them off and toss them in the BBQ Sauce. You can also garnish them with sesame seeds, more sriracha and chopped parsley.
- After the wings are ready, serve them up and enjoy!