This Planked Salmon with Chili Lime Sauce is a light and fresh dinner that’s packed with flavor. Tender, flaky salmon is coated in a simple blend of seasonings, then smothered in a sweet, tangy, and spicy chili lime sauce.
It’s Salmon Season!
First, let’s season our salmon for our Planked Salmon with Chili Lime Sauce.
So, preheat a two-zone medium heat fire to a temperature of around 325ºF. Lather your salmon with canola oil, then rub your Smoked Chipotle Mezcal seasoning all over the outside of the fish. Now, you can also use whatever seasoning your heart desires, but (if I do say so myself), the Smoked Chipotle Mezcal seasoning is the way to go. Trust me on this one.
Don’t hold back. We want all of that smoky, spicy flavor because the meal just isn’t the same without it!
Make Your Sauce for Planked Salmon with Chili Lime Sauce
Next, we’ll throw together our sauce. This sauce is insanely flavorful, tastes like you spent a whole lot of time on it, but actually could not be easier.
So, in a bowl, mix together minced garlic, chopped cilantro, Sriracha sauce, honey, unsalted butter, orange juice, and lime juice. And that’s it!
Now, the beauty of making your own sauce for the Planked Salmon with Chili Lime Sauce is you can customize it to taste. Prefer a spicier sauce? Add more Sriracha. Like it sweeter? Add more honey. Big fan of garlic? Add more! Just do your thing, because you really can’t go wrong.
Love the bright lime flavors in this recipe. Try my cast iron skillet salmon, Spicy Tequila Lime Shrimp Skewers, Smoked Tequila Lime Burnt Ends, Coal Roasted Baja Lime Lobster, or Chipotle Lime Red Snapper.
Let’s Go Grill
With the grill hot and ready to go, it’s time to cook our Planked Salmon with Chili Lime Sauce.
First, add all of your orange slices and all of your lime slices onto the cooler side of the grill to create a “plank” for the salmon to lay on. Hence the name “planked” salmon. Get it?
Next, place the salmon on top of the fruit, close the grill lid, and cook for 15 minutes.
Sauce Things Up
After the first 15 minutes of cooking, open up the grill and lather the planked salmon generously with the chili lime sauce. As with the seasoning, don’t hold back, because we want that flavor.
Next, close the grill lid again and cook the salmon for another 10 minutes or so. After 10 minutes, use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature has reached 130ºF because no one likes undercooked salmon. Then, it’s good to go!
Serve Your Planked Salmon with Chili Lime Sauce
So, pull the cooked salmon off of the grill, allow it to cool for a couple of minutes, then serve it up with your favorite side dishes!
Planked Salmon with Chili Lime Sauce
- 1 Whole Side of Salmon
- 3 tbsp Smoked Chipotle Mezcal
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- 4-5 Navel Oranges sliced
- 3-4 Limes sliced
- Canola Oil
Chili Lime Sauce:
- 2.5 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2.5 tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- 1.5 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1.5 tbsp Honey
- 1.5 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- ½ Navel Orange juiced
- ½ Lime juiced
- Preheat a two zone medium heat fire (around 325F).
- Lather your salmon with canola oil and generously season with the Smoked Chipotle Mezcal seasoning or your seasoning of choice. In a bowl mix together all the ingredients for the Chili Lime Sauce.
- Add all your sliced oranges and limes to the cool side of the grill to create a “plank” for your salmon to lay on. Place the salmon on top of the citrus. Close your grill lid and cook indirect at 325F for 15 minutes. After the first 15 minutes of cooking, open up the grill and lather your salmon with the Chili Lime Sauce all over. Close the lid and continue cooking the salmon until it reaches 130F internal (about 10 more minutes). Once done, use a large spatula to pull the salmon off the grill to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- When done, serve the salmon and enjoy!