Buffalo Chicken Fries is a quick, easy, and tasty recipe that will please any hungry crowd. If you’re planning your Super Bowl party eats, I highly recommend you add this favorite appetizer to your game-day menu!
This plate of loaded cheese fries features chicken thighs smoked, seared, and then basted with a tasty buffalo hot sauce. The tender, flavorful chicken lands on a bed of golden crispy fries with melty cheese, blue cheese sauce, and more buffalo sauce.
It’s seriously making my mouth water just writing about it! So, let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love Loaded Buffalo Chicken Fries
- Flavor X Fire & FOOD X Fire
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Fries Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Buffalo Chicken Fries
- Firing up the Oklahoma Joe’s Judge Grill
- Buffalo Chicken Fries Sauce
- Grilling the Buffalo Chicken
- Plating the Buffalo Chicken Fries
- MOre with Fries
- What to Serve with Grilled Buffalo Chicken Fries
- Leftovers & Reheating
- This sauce is FYR!
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Fries Recipe
Why You’ll Love Loaded Buffalo Chicken Fries
As I mentioned, this recipe makes a great appetizer. It brings together several of my favorite comfort foods: chicken, spicy buffalo sauce, blue cheese crumbles, and then some crispy French fries.
This recipe is also another opportunity for me to show off my Oklahoma Joe’s Judge Charcoal Grill. If you don’t have this workhorse of a grill yet, I highly recommend you check it out. This rugged beast is ready for anything you throw its way, including these tasty chicken fries.
Get The Cookbooks!
Flavor X Fire & FOOD X Fire
All the major tastes—salty, sour, sweet, bitter, and umami—are explored in depth, along with an investigation of other components you should consider when it comes to flavor, such as aroma, heat, and texture.
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Fries Recipe Ingredients
- Chicken – Chicken thighs (you can also use chicken breasts) covered in canola oil are seasoned with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Blue Cheese Dressing Sauce – This creamy sauce comes together fast in a blender or bowl. Throw in some mayo, water, buttermilk, crumbled blue cheese, Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Crispy Fries – Go with your favorite crispy oven fries – frozen French Fries or homemade French fries, depending on your personal preference! They’ll get slathered in buffalo wing sauce, shredded cheese, chopped chives, and then some more crumbled blue cheese for the garnish. For the shredded cheese, cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese are two great choices.
Now that we have all of the ingredients ready to roll, let’s get grilling!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Fries
Firing up the Oklahoma Joe’s Judge Grill
Firstly, let’s fire up that grill to a medium heat of 375 degrees F for some two-zone cooking magic.
Next, while it’s heating up, give your chicken some love. Slather it with some neutral vegetable oil and sprinkle on a generous mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and then as much cayenne powder as your taste buds like. Set aside.
Buffalo Chicken Fries Sauce
Now, let’s talk about the blue cheese sauce that ties all the elements together into a delicious symphony. Gather all the ingredients, throw them into a large bowl or blender, and then give it a good mix until it’s creamy (or keep it a little lumpy if you like it that way). Set aside until ready to drizzle.
Grilling the Buffalo Chicken
Time to hit the Oklahoma Joe’s grill. Place the seasoned chicken on the hot side for a quick sear, which means 2-3 minutes on each side should do the trick. Once you’ve got that beautiful sear, go ahead and move them to the cooler side of the grill.
Brush on some buffalo sauce, close the lid, and let the magic happen until the internal temperature hits a perfect 165 degrees F (should take about 10 more minutes). When they’re done, pull them off and let them rest.
Plating the Buffalo Chicken Fries
Now, let’s give some attention to those fries. Place fries on a plate and melt some cheese over the top – because who doesn’t love cheesy fries? Toss some more buffalo sauce with some cooked chicken cubes.
Lastly, top those crispy fries with the buffalo chicken mixture. Drizzle fries with that blue cheese sauce, add more buffalo sauce for that extra kick, sprinkle on some blue cheese crumbles, and then finish it off with a sprinkle of chives.
What to Serve with Grilled Buffalo Chicken Fries
If you want to serve buffalo chicken fries as a main dish, consider serving them with some crisp and refreshing coleslaw or a green salad.
Leftovers & Reheating
If you happen to have any leftover fries, store them in an airtight container for 3-5 days. To crisp up the fries again, warm them up in a hot oven or the air fryer.
The beauty of Buffalo Chicken Fries lies in their versatility. First, you could consider cooking up a bag of delicious curly fries, shoestring fries, thick cut fries, or waffle fries instead of the straightforward steak fries. Or, maybe some sweet potato fries? Then, consider adding toppings like diced tomatoes, green onions, or jalapeños for a fresh twist.
Indeed, you have full control over the spiciness. Adjust the heat by tweaking the amount of cayenne powder in the seasoning and the buffalo sauce. If you’re serving a diverse group with varying spice preferences, you can also offer extra buffalo sauce on the side for those who like an extra kick.
Absolutely! You can partially prepare Buffalo Chicken Fries ahead of time by smoking and grilling the chicken and preparing the blue cheese sauce. When it’s time to serve, reheat the chicken while you’re cooking the fries.
Get stoked for life
This sauce is FYR!
Born from a deep passion for food and flavor. Whether you’re grilling in the backyard or live fire cooking around the world, we have what you need to transform every meal into an adventure.
Grilled Buffalo Chicken Fries
- 5-6 Chicken Thighs
- 1.5 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1.5 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1.5 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Cayenne Powder
- Canola Oil as needed
Blue Cheese Sauce:
- 1.25 cups Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Water
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- ½ cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Favorite Crispy Fries
- 2 cups Buffalo Sauce
- 1.5 cups Shredded Cheese
- Chopped Chives for garnish
- Crumbled Blue Cheese for garnish
- Preheat your Oklahoma Joe's Judge Charcoal Grill for 2-zone cooking at 375 degrees F.
- Slather your chicken with vegetable oil and season the pieces with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne powder. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients for the blue cheese sauce to a bowl or blender and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Add your chicken to the hot side of the grill to sear for 2-3 minutes. Flip over and sear for another 2 minutes. Place them on the cooler side of the grill and brush some of the buffalo sauce over them. Close the lid and cook until 165 degrees F internal (about 10 more minutes). Once done, pull off and let rest.
- Add your fries to a plate and melt your cheese over the top. Slice your chicken thighs into cubes and toss in some more buffalo sauce if you desire. Top with fries with the chicken, blue cheese sauce, more buffalo sauce, blue cheese crumbles, and chopped chives. Serve and enjoy!